Get ready for the excuses:
– “Sunday is our only free time together.” (Great, what better way to spend that time than by praying together at Mass).
– “I pray my own way.” (Nice idea. But, odds are, you don’t).
– “The sermon is boring.” (You may have a point).
– “I hate all the changes at Mass.” (see below)
– “I want more changes at Mass.” (see above)
– “Until the church makes some changes in its teaching, I’m staying away.” (But, don’t we go to Mass to ask God to change us, not to tell God how we want Him and His Church to change to suit us?)
– “Everybody there is a hypocrite and always judging me.” (Who’s judging whom here?)
; and the list goes on.
And the simple fact remains: the Eucharist is the most beautiful, powerful prayer that we have. To miss it is to miss Jesus — His Word, His people, His presence, His Body and Blood.” —Archbishop Timothy Dolan (New York)